This is not another humor post, but just a comparison between the searches on the terms C# and Ruby using Google Trends.

viz

Apart from the number of searches on the term C# which are double the ones on the term Ruby, it’s funny to notice the trend in the various days of the weeks: Ruby stays constant throughout all the week, while C# drops to half the volume during weekends. There might be a few explanations for this:

1. Ruby is used by people that don’t have a personal life and spend the weekend developing stuff
  2. C# is used by people that develop only on their 9-5, Mon-Fri job

Any other guess?

Thanks to Andrea for sharing this on his blog.

kick it on DotNetKicks.com

Technorati Tags: ,,
posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 11:23 PM

Left by Ted Jardine at 9/17/2008 5:16 AM

That's an interesting observaction.

Not in direct answer to your question, but it's important to remember on these searches involving C# is that sometimes "C#" is used, sometimes "csharp", and possibly even "c sharp" or what-have-you.

Left by Alex at 9/17/2008 5:39 AM

So why does it seem like there are more Ruby Jobs?

Left by gattox at 9/17/2008 8:42 AM

@alex
That's may true ... if your are searching a Ruby job ;-)

Left by infocyde at 9/17/2008 3:52 PM

I think you made two excellent observations :)

Left by OAB at 9/17/2008 5:22 PM

A lot more people use C# than Ruby at work, but the same number of people use Ruby and C# for hobby programming on the weekends

Left by Buddy Lindsey at 9/17/2008 6:15 PM

I think this helps to show the 80/20 theory relationship almost verbatim. Good observations.

Left by Niki at 9/17/2008 7:25 PM

Actually, the C# graph seems to be higher than the ruby graph even on weekends. So, wouldn't that mean that Ruby and C# are both used by no-personal-life enthusiasts (as can be seen on the weekend queries), but C# is also used by 9-to-5 working class people, during the week?

Left by Ian at 9/17/2008 9:47 PM

Could there be a number of people searching for the Gem not the programming language?

Left by Simone at 9/17/2008 9:53 PM

I just want to remind that this is just based on search on queries.
People searching for Ruby might be searching for the mineral, or "Ruby Tuesday". And people might look for .NET instead of C#.
Tho I thing this pretty much represents the situation

Left by Eddie Velasquez at 9/17/2008 10:14 PM

Look what happens when you include VB into the mix.
C#, VB, Ruby

Left by Sean at 9/17/2008 11:52 PM

Who says there are more Ruby jobs? I just did a search on Monster. There were 614 postings for Ruby. C# reached the maximum search results and was capped off at 5,000.

Left by Rush Frisby at 9/18/2008 2:31 AM

I have a blog on .NET and have noticed the same pattern. I am guessing it is because there is so much you could possibly do in .NET that it is impossible to know everything and so people end up going to the internet to look up how to do something.

Left by botros at 9/18/2008 3:23 AM

Maybe it's the UNI students; needing with their C# assignments but are too drunk on weekends to read code :?)

Left by Bart Czernicki at 9/18/2008 4:08 AM

I have a Silverlight blog (www.silverlighthack.com) (mostly C# based) and its the same pattern. I average about a 160 views a day M-F and on the weekend its drops by about 60%.

Left by mike africa at 9/18/2008 8:54 AM

I think this perhaps in an indication that the Ruby guys are more passionate about their programming language (and whatever else that comes with it: community, frameworks... etc); whereas most people do C# just to get paid.

Coincidentally I'm a 9-5 C# guy and after hour Ruby guy...

Left by Alberto at 9/18/2008 4:54 PM

I belive that C# developers have their projects on good time.
That means we don't need to do extra-work and can enjoy weekends!

Left by c.sokun at 9/18/2008 4:57 PM

isn't that show how much trouble C# cause you over ruby? LOL

Left by Juan Lopes at 9/18/2008 5:24 PM

Did you notice that in c# searches, the most used languages are asiatic ones? I have another guess.

3 - c# is very intuitive that demands almost no search, and being so simple and powerful, it's the most used language in asiatic countries (that have much more people than ocidental ones, what give us a tip about the search volume). Ruby is complicated and not well documented, so you have to search several times to find something simple. You have to search even at the weekends, to get your work done.

Left by cease at 9/18/2008 7:43 PM

cause they are looking up rails or ruby on rails

Left by Joe at 9/19/2008 1:33 AM

@Juan Lopes

lol.wtf

Left by Chris at 9/19/2008 6:26 AM

C#, vb, ruby, C++, Java

Wow.

Left by Simone at 9/19/2008 10:18 AM

@Chris: that's nice... what your comparison means is that java is searched 4 times more than C#, and that Ruby is the only one with a constant search throughout all the week, while C++, VB and Java all have the Mon - Fri pattern.
Thx for sharing your findings.

Left by Tomas at 9/19/2008 11:02 AM

Even Python follows the mon-fri pattern.

Left by Code Commentor at 9/19/2008 1:36 PM

I think it's pretty clear from the actual google trends chart. The #1 region is India, the bulk of these searches are from outsourcing regions. C# is highly outsourced. Who outsources Ruby?

So I wouldn't say it makes a statement about Ruby as much as it does about C#. C# developers who search the web tend to work their hours and then go home. Make sense in light of scale worker in outsource regions.

Left by leethal at 9/19/2008 1:56 PM

Could also be a timezone thing.

Left by Plons at 9/19/2008 3:34 PM

The term ruby is a bit more overloaded than C#, which probably explains the lack of weekly pattern. It also means that this chart overestimates the search volume for the ruby language.

"Rails" also exhibits a weekly pattern... and a search volume much smaller than the programming languages shown above.