Today, taking advantage of the International version of the Black Friday, I finally ordered a MacBook.

I went for the mid version, which is the 13", 2.2Ghz SantaRosa-based Core 2 Duo, 120GB HDD and 2GB of RAM. So now I'm officially joining the ranks of the cool people developing .NET apps on a Mac.

Now the difficult decision is: Parallels or VMWare Fusion?

JD went for Fusion, Damien Guard for Parallels, Andrew Butel is using Parallels. Hammett did some testing compiling Castle on Bootcamp, Parallels and Fusion, and the winner was Fusion, which was even faster then Bootcamp.

I used Parallels a few days when I was developing the demos for my Vista Gadget presentation back in September, so as soon as I get my hands on the Mac I'll try Fusion, and than I'll be able to make a decision.

But there is more: I'm going to buy also a Cinema Display 20"... it's impossible to use Visual Studio on a 13" display.

posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 9:21 PM

# re: Finally I did it

Left by Ben Gertzfield at 12/1/2007 6:02 PM

I'm a bit biased, but I know VMware Fusion is rock-solid and really fun to use. Definitely give it a try!

# re: Finally I did it

Left by Damien Guard at 12/1/2007 6:22 PM

When I upgraded to Leopard I took the opportunity to create a new partition using Boot Camp Assistant and put Vista on it.

By doing this I can switch between Parallels, Fusion and native "Boot Camp" booting at will.

I tried Fusion but the graphic performance was abysmal as the Vista Experience rating proved. Parallels is better but there have been some annoying shutdown and startup bugs on Leopard.

If I'm sitting down to work on .NET all day then booting natively eeks out every last drop of performance for those big compiles... at least until my 17" MBP 2.6 arrives next week ;-)

Good luck and welcome to the club!

[)amien

# re: Finally I did it

Left by Nic Wise at 12/1/2007 8:03 PM

Good on ya! Welcome to the "club" :)

I think both fusion and parallels have their good and bad points - fusion, for eg, can use more than one CPU. Why not try them both for a month or so, and see how you go. A days dev with each one, and run it off the boot camp partition or something?

We (Leonie and I) have gone to Leopard, with new shiney 160GB disks. Oh, it's nice, tho we've found a few essential things - missing sync to sync ical/addressbook with our windows mobile phones - dont work :( All up, tho, it's lovely, and was fantastic for traveling.

# re: Finally I did it

Left by Simone Chiaretta at 12/1/2007 11:55 PM

Thank you both for the advices.
I was thinking to install on BootCamp, so that I can boot a native Vista or use it "inside" a Leopard session. No point in having a Mac without using it's OS-X :)

# re: Finally I did it

Left by Jan Wikholm at 12/20/2007 11:17 PM

I'd suggest VMWare over Parallels by the simple fact that VMWare seems to perform better - at least in my experience with running Office stuff (Visio etc).