I've been thinking about getting a mac since I saw the new MacBook Pro more than one year ago: now my old 4 years old laptop (Acer Travelmate 430) is starting to have some problems (running very high on kernel mode CPU time, probably due to some HD failures) and the macbook option is getting more and more real.

Probably I'll not buy a MacBook Pro since it costs too much (4.749 NZ$ or 2.499 euro), but the MacBook 13"" with 2GB of RAM is what I'll probably buy.

I knew about Parallels, the software that allow you to run a Windows OS (XP or Vista) inside a Mac, but yesterday I found out a very cool feature they added to the final release of Parallels Desktop for Mac: Coherence.

This feature allow user to run Windows applications without forcing them inside the virtual desktop.

When a user switches to Coherence mode, their Windows desktop disappears, leaving their Windows applications running directly on their Mac desktop.

But an image, or a video, is better than a thousand words:

If you are reading this post inside a newsreader, read the post on the CodeClimber site to watch the video

posted on Wednesday, March 7, 2007 9:57 AM

# re: One step closer to the Mac

Left by Steve Harman at 3/7/2007 1:12 PM

Just to be clear, there is still a full (albeit virtualized) instance of Windows running in the background. So this isn't like CodeWeaver or similar technologies that attempt to run windows code on a no-windows OS.

However, it is pretty freakin' slick. I've been thinking of picking up a MacBook Pro myself, and having this kind of transparency in the applications that I run will be huge.

# re: One step closer to the Mac

Left by Eber Irigoyen at 3/7/2007 2:31 PM

that's the very reason I'm getting a Mac next =o)

# re: One step closer to the Mac

Left by Simone at 3/7/2007 2:56 PM

Yes, Steve is right, you will have a Windows XP running on the background, but, with 2Gb of RAM who cares? :)
Also you will not need to run on Vista since you will just run programs and not the OS, so can safely stay with XP until Vista get less expensive :)

# re: One step closer to the Mac

Left by Nic Wise at 3/7/2007 5:03 PM

Phil, our interaction designer, uses this for development etc. Loves it. It's very quick and slick.

There is a very good chance that Leonie and I will have one each (MacBook w/ 2GB) when we get back next week..... :) :)

# re: One step closer to the Mac

Left by James at 3/7/2007 5:45 PM

Dude,

spend the extra and get the Mac Book Pro. You won't be disapointed. If you do order one, just be aware of the, erm, "interesting" Apple customer service. In NZ anyway.

I run Parallels and do all dev work and you honestly can't tell you aren't running natively. Haven't put bootcamp on yet but would be interested to see how it goes with native hardware etc....

# re: One step closer to the Mac

Left by Simone Chiaretta at 3/7/2007 11:18 PM

@James: 2K NZ$ is a bit too much in my opinion. For the same money I could by a Cinema 23" display.
Why do you think it's worth the money?

# Leopard to be released on October 26th