If you are following my blog since at least a few years you know that one of my main interest is the possibility to extend ASP.NET MVC and fine tune it to fit your (and your team’s) needs.

One of my most popular posts is 13 ASP.NET MVC extensibility points you have to know, which I published almost 2 years and half ago (and was based on ASP.NET MVC v1). Still on the same subject I gave a two hours long presentation at Umbraco CodeGarden ‘10 Mvc Pre-Conf: ASP.NET MVC Extensibility.

To try and push the concept that Extending ASP.NET MVC is a best practice and a must for all web applications that are more than a simple demo, I signed up with RedGate to write a series of articles about ASP.NET MVC; series that will be published on their developers’ portal Simple-Talk in the course of the next months.

The 10 articles will cover most of the extensibility points of ASP.NET MVC, following the processing pipeline: from the routing and till the view (and the design time customization possibilities).

The first article has been published last week: An Introduction to ASP.NET MVC Extensibility, and contains also a wall-chart with all the processing pipeline of ASP.NET MVC.

The titles of the articles are not final yet, but here is a list of the topics that will be covered during the next months:

1. An Introduction to ASP.NET MVC Extensibility (21 Sept 2011)
  2. ASP.NET MVC Routing Extensibility (9 Dec 2011)
  3. How to modify the way your controllers are created
  4. Filters (Auth, Action, Results) and FilterProvider
  5. Action extensibility (Action Method selector and Action Results)
  6. Customizing how data is fed into the controllers
  7. Validation (client-side, server-side and IObjectValidator)
  8. Custom Templates
  9. View extensibility: Custom view engines and view helpers
  10. Design time extensibility

For the moment it’s based on ASP.NET MVC 3, but will switch to ASP.NET MVC 4 as soon as it is released (if this happens before the end of the series).

And a big thanks go to the editor, Chris Massey, that help a lot with the style of the article and Eilon Lipton, which, as happened the other times he was my tech reviewer, caught all non technically perfect or unclear statements and helped setting them right. And to Andrew Clarke, the editor of Simple-Talk, for helping with the chart.

Also thanks to Hadi Hariri for the inspiration he gave me with his 2 talks about ASP.NET MVC at BeLux TechDays: ASP.NET MVC Deep Dive and Getting the most out of ASP.NET MVC.

Let me know what you think about the first article of the series, and if there are some extensibility you would me to cover in particular or some questions you would like to ask.

Hope you will find the series interesting.

posted on Monday, September 26, 2011 12:14 PM

# re: 10 articles on ASP.NET MVC Extensibility to land on Simple-Talk in the next months

Left by Justin at 9/26/2011 2:12 PM

Looking forward to #6. Data is something I just can't seem to settle on a good pattern and I am always second guessing my approach from project to project.

Left by Simone Chiaretta at 9/26/2011 2:20 PM

Article 6 will be mainly about modelbinders... is there anything else you would like to be covered?

Left by Lcng at 9/27/2011 3:17 AM

《An Introduction to ASP.NET MVC Extensibility》 is great.
Will you write some articles as great as 《ASP.NET MVC Extensibility》 is about WCF extensibility?
Thank you.
A novice from China.

Left by Peter at 9/27/2011 8:56 AM

Simone - looks like a great series, can't wait to see it all. It will be really useful for my team and I as we dig into MVC3. Please don't be shy on depth or examples! Got onto it through Simple Talk. Well done.

Peter

Left by Simone Chiaretta at 9/27/2011 10:47 AM

@Lcng: Not so experienced in WCF as I am in ASP.NET MVC. I really doubt I'll do something similar for that :)

@Peter: will be in depth and with examples... don't worry :)

Left by Lcng at 9/28/2011 3:12 AM

@Simone:Thank you for your reply. Although I should go to find the WCF articles some where else, I am still looking forward to #2, #3, ..., and #10 here. I am a fan of ASP.NET MVC.

Left by Kralizek at 9/29/2011 9:09 AM

It would be nice an article about how to push to the extreme the routing engine.

I just solved a problem for my company: we are basically running different sites pointing to the same asp.net application (e.g. www.studentum.se and www.educations.com). We wanted to create different urls per site (e.g. www.studentum.se/skola/12345-vad-kul-universitet and www.educations.com/school/67889-oh-my-god-university ) both pointing to the same pair { controller, action }.
but there's very few articles on the net about inheriting from RouteBase.

Left by Simone Chiaretta at 9/29/2011 11:23 AM

@Kralizek: My next article will be about routing... I'll see if I can cover what you need for.

Left by Peter at 10/27/2011 1:00 PM

Hi Simone - haven't seen any more of these ;-(. Are you still planning to do them?

Left by Simone Chiaretta at 10/27/2011 1:03 PM

Sure, had a few problems and other things to work on, but still working on them.
Second article should be out soon.

Thx for asking