If you are reading this post it means that you are now reading my blog from the new server. Please let me know if you find it faster, slower, if you spot errors or something like that. That will be really appreciated.

It has been ages since I last installed a new server, especially with so little resources: 30 Gb are great if it's just a shared hosting, but on VPS, 20 of these 30GB are used by the operating system itself.

Now I also have to setup some kind of backup strategy to avoid loosing all my posts in case of problems. I think I'll probably adopt the Dropbox approach suggested by Rob Conery for the websites files, and will setup a weekly backup of the database that goes in a dropbox folder as well.

Probably I'll also think into moving all my static files (CSS, images, code downloads) somewhere in the cloud (like Amazon) just to reduce the disk usage and also the bandwidth consumption on the server.

Tags: ,
posted on Thursday, February 3, 2011 7:22 PM

# re: Migration completed

Left by Dave Van den Eynde at 2/4/2011 8:54 AM

Not just the bandwidth costs and disk usage, but also for the roundtrip time! Being able to reply a 304-Not Modified in 20ms vs 200ms makes a huge difference!

# re: Migration completed

Left by Simone at 2/4/2011 2:15 PM

Yeah, true...
will be a big boost in the overall speed of the site.
Just need to find an easy way to manage it in a semi-automatic manner.

Ideas?

# re: Migration completed

Left by Dave Van den Eynde at 2/4/2011 2:24 PM

I'm using an S3 bucket for the static items: scripts, artwork and a CloudFront distribution on top of that with a custom CNAME, e.g. static.contoso.com. You don't really need to use an S3 bucket as you can use custom origin servers these days. The app itself is not hosted by EC2 like yours but with a shared hosting partner (currently winhost.com). I think CloudFront updates too slow to have it cache dynamic stuff. BTW my app does mostly video, and S3 + CloudFront is simply great for that.

In your case, I'd say make a CloudFront distribution with a custom CNAME and have it point at your webserver, then start changing urls with static stuff to point to the distribution. CloudFront is like a big cache that will automatically come fetch the stuff it doesn't already have when requested, so it's a lot easier to manage than a 'push' type CDN like any of the other I've seen. Actually, CloudFront + S3 is the push style version of it, if you think about it.

Mail me if you need more help.

# re: Migration completed

Left by Simone at 2/4/2011 2:57 PM

I already had a CloudFront and I remember had setup an S3 account as well.
So you say that now I can have it take files directly from my server instead of having to upload them to S3 first? How to do it? In the AWS console, when I create a new distribution, I only get to specify an S3 Bucket, not a custom origin.

As for EC2... I'm not directly on EC2, I'm testing a "new way of doing VPS" on it... more on this will come in the future

# re: Migration completed

Left by Tiernan OToole at 2/4/2011 7:09 PM

Before checking out Amazon S3, you might want to look at RackSpaceCloud. New Customers are being moved to the Akamai CDN, which has a lot more POPs than Amazon currently does... As for Amazon, the custom origin stuff is available though an API... CyberDuck allows you to do some stuff, but never had success with taking from a HTTP server and loading into CloudFront.

# re: Migration completed

Left by Tiernan OToole at 2/4/2011 9:09 PM

Just as an FYI, here is a GIST that will get you started with AWS CloudFront Custom Origins. https://gist.github.com/704820 had this working in a matter of seconds!

# re: Migration completed

Left by Igor A. at 2/5/2011 10:23 AM

Hi Simone,
take care also of IIS Logs and Temporary ASP.NET Files in a server with so few resources.

# re: Migration completed

Left by Simon Philp at 2/6/2011 10:13 PM

Simo,
you ever thought about using Google Apps to serve your static files? Just setup a nice sub-domain and point it to google ;) My old skin was hosted on google, new one on way.....

# re: Migration completed

Left by Alex Pinero at 2/21/2011 1:36 PM

I use Amazons CloudFront for some of my sites that have lots of multimedia. Take it from m for the price that I'm paying it's so worth it.

# re: Migration completed

Left by Mark B. at 3/15/2011 1:15 PM

@Tiernan - thanks for the link to the GIST. That could come in very useful.