Standing up an hour or so after the day starts is one of the (first?) changes I’m trying to introduce into the team I’m working with now. Well, not just standing up around a water cooler, but also talking about what everyone did yesterday, what everyone is going to do today, and if there are some blocking issue that are preventing work to proceed correctly. This is not something I invented, it’s called “Standup Meeting” and is one of the first steps for introducing some kind of Agile into a team.

There is a lot of literature around that specific practice so I won’t explain here what a Stand up meeting is, but I’ll just point you to other links I found interesting.

We have introduced this new practice into the team only 2 weeks ago, and so far the things are going fine. The biggest benefit is that now people have an official moment in time to talk about blocking issues, while previously it was more difficult to try and get the attention of the team.

Let’s see how this turns out in a month or so.

posted on Wednesday, December 9, 2009 8:27 PM

# re: Everybody stand-up! 7 resources for standup meetings.

Left by Stephane at 12/10/2009 12:39 AM

Hi! Nice collection of links :)
I introduced the stand-up meeting as the first practice in a transition to an Agile way of working using SCRUM several months ago. This is far the easiest practice to implement in any team and the one that will yield the biggest benefit the fastest. I however adapted the standard daily scrum meant for the team to something more general. You can read more in this blog post :

alsagile.com/.../...m-in-a-small-organization.aspx

Stéphane

# re: Everybody stand-up! 7 resources for standup meetings.

Left by Bert-Jan Diedering at 12/10/2009 9:28 AM

Ow yeah and don't forget the InfoQ PDF : www.infoq.com/minibooks/scrum-xp-from-the-trenches

It's a good guideline into Scrum and XP :) Standups is just one of the Scrum basics... there's more!

# re: Everybody stand-up! 7 resources for standup meetings.

Left by Simone at 12/10/2009 9:38 AM

@Stéphane: Thank you for sharing your own experience.

@Bert: I know there is more than Standups... thank you for the link

# re: Everybody stand-up! 7 resources for standup meetings.

Left by Arnis L. at 12/10/2009 1:51 PM

oh god. i dislike those... reminds me standing in corner, thinking about how much i want to sleep and waiting for a moment when i'll be able to sit down and drink a cup of coffee. xD

it's like with communism. everything ends up at individuals. no technique can solve this problem. if devs ain't good - standup meetings won't help. if they are - then standup meetings are just a waste of time.

# re: Everybody stand-up! 7 resources for standup meetings.

Left by Simone at 12/10/2009 4:14 PM

Arnis, thank you for commenting.
I don't think the proficiency of developers matter that much here: the main reason of that meetings is to communicate with the team about how the project is advancing.
Obviously if you are just a team of 2 or 3 people working together on exactly the same "component" probably it won't be a lot of help, but if you have a team where different devs work on different components of the same app, it will help keeping everybody on the same page.
A team of individual won't go very far... if you are that unlucky to work in such a team, I'm sorry for you

# re: Everybody stand-up! 7 resources for standup meetings.

Left by Arnis L. at 12/10/2009 6:18 PM

I believe that proficiency of one includes ability of great communication skills and will to use them, understanding when and why that's necessary.

Therefore - i see stand up meetings as a form of bureaucracy.

I'm not saying stand ups are bad in essence. Just wanted to emphasize that it's just a tool which can be omitted when certain circumstances are met and too much focusing on tools instead of application is evil by definition. But maybe I'm more idealistic than pragmatic and that's just my desire for absolute simplicity.

P.s. Actually - your blog is quite high in my 'blogs-that-have-taught-me-something-useful' list. Commenting is the least thing that i can do. :)

# re: Everybody stand-up! 7 resources for standup meetings.

Left by Simone at 12/11/2009 3:44 PM

I wish all developer were both good at writing code and ant communicating.
If you are working with a team of super-coders and super-communicators then... good for you.

Unfortunately 95% of developers don't fall in that category, so some kind of "forced" communication is good :)

And, thank you for putting my blog into the "blogs-that-have-taught-me-something-useful' list.