As you might have read yesterday, this weekend I moved my blog from WebHost4Life to LinkedLabs, the hosting company managed by Ken Robertson, a Senior Software Developer at Tellingent. And if you are reading this post it means the DNS transition is complete.

I decided to move away from WH4L not because I had performance problems or poor customer support (which IMHO is great), but because I needed to manage and host more websites (small ones), and this was not possible on WH4L without paying a yearly additional fee of 20$ per web application. I used to run these small sites on DotNetNuke, with which you can have just one web application with many different domains, but running, patching, updating an application like DNN for running a few kind-of static websites was overkill for me. With the solution provided by LinkedLabs I can run as many web applications as I need, without paying additional fees: the yearly fee is higher, but with the number of sites I've to run the overall cost will be lower. Another reason is that now I've a more granular control on IIS, I'll have IIS7 and SQL Server 2008, while with WH4L I was still on IIS6 and SQL Server 2000. And the last reason is that the VPS solutions offered by LinkedLabs seem better than the ones offered by WH4L, and as the traffic on my blog grows, I'll eventually have to upgrade to this more powerful solution.

Now I hope the performances and the support of LinkedLabs will be the same of WH4L.

I'm on a shared hosting, but LinkedLabs is now selling only VPS (I bought the service more than one year ago when he was still selling this solution). You can read about LinkedLabs offering from Ken's website: Awesome virtual server hosting

posted on Saturday, November 21, 2009 3:17 PM

# re: Server migration to LinkedLabs completed

Left by Nic Wise at 11/21/2009 4:38 PM

Interesting, his pricing is about the same as Amazon, tho with AWS you get a bit more RAM (1.7GB) tho bandwidth is a bit more....

Did you consider AWS for it? Just curious :)

# re: Server migration to LinkedLabs completed

Left by Ken Robertson at 11/21/2009 5:19 PM

Simone is only on the shared hosting server, not on a VPS, so AWS wouldn't have filled his need there.

Additionally, it isn't about the same as AWS. AWS doesn't include SQL Server 2008, and if you did run it, it would be from your own VM on AWS, not a separate dedicated machine. Performance is also varied with AWS. You are hard capped on your CPU resources, while on almost any other VPS, you can use up to 1-2 cores, but limits only come in when resources are under heavier use.

Also since then, I no longer offer 512mb ram option, and lowered the price on the 1gb.

# re: Server migration to LinkedLabs completed

Left by Adam at 11/21/2009 6:59 PM

FWIW, you don't need to pay $20 / web application at WH4L. I certainly don't. On shared hosting (if I recall correctly) all you needed to do was not select the e-mail option. On VPS hosting, just create a subfolder off your root for the new site, and point a new domain at the subfolder.

# re: Server migration to LinkedLabs completed

Left by Si Philp at 11/22/2009 5:08 PM

Simo, site loads alot quicker for me so something has kicked in :)

# re: Server migration to LinkedLabs completed

Left by Simone at 11/22/2009 9:42 PM

@Nic: I didn't consider AWS, and atm I'm still with the virtual shared hosting. With VPS then I'd not have to bother buying licenses or running my own DB server as it will be run by the hoster.

@Adam: You don't have to pay 20$ per each web apps, but for each web apps that is bound to a domain. So 3 sites with 3 different domains = 60$ (on shared hosting, obviously with VPS you don't have to)

@Si: Glad it works faster :)