As you might have noticed if you followed my twitter stream, I spent the last two weeks in Hokkaido, doing some trekking and enjoying the onsen. But still 5 new posts appeared on my blog. This happened thanks to a feature of Subtext that allows posting in the future.

Before leaving to Japan I was undecided about scheduling posts while I was on vacation for two weeks, but then I decided to try this experiment.

But now I’m back and I wanted to ask you what you think of what I did: did you like the fact that I new posts were appearing? Or do you think my vacation would have been unnoticed? Or maybe you think I should have just stopped writing posts since I was not available to respond to comments. Please let me know your thoughts by answering the following poll, and by writing a comment. Thank you.

And now the link to the poll: The posts on the last 2 weeks were scheduled: what do you think of the experiment? Should I schedule posts next time I'm away for long time?

posted on Saturday, August 22, 2009 4:27 PM

# re: Scheduling post while on vacation: how did it go?

Left by Alberto at 8/22/2009 10:29 PM

I personally thought you were just posting during your trip in Hokkaido, like you were doing on twitter :)
I don't think two weeks of vacation can though be a lack of community presence: we're always online quite 365 a year... if that goes down to 350.. I guess it's ok anyway ;)

# re: Scheduling post while on vacation: how did it go?

Left by Ripaz at 8/23/2009 8:47 AM

Think your "online addiction" is getting worse and worse every day :-)

Please add this answer to the poll:
"No. Posting since you were on vacation is crazy!!! BTW I were on vacation too and not looking to your blog at all..."

# re: Scheduling post while on vacation: how did it go?

Left by Simone at 8/23/2009 3:37 PM

Well... writing something on Twitter is way easier that writing long posts about Ninject and ASP.NET MVC :)
I think that posting while on vacation helps keeping the "flow" of posts.

# re: Scheduling post while on vacation: how did it go?

Left by Martin at 8/24/2009 8:57 AM

It's your blog and you do whatever you want with it - well almost whatever, anyway. I see the future post feature as a positive one, it keeps the continuity.

If you start getting e-mails from people that seem bothered that you're actually not available, maybe a simple note that the post is pre-scheduled could be a feature enhancement.

# re: Scheduling post while on vacation: how did it go?

Left by Simone at 8/27/2009 10:52 AM

@Ripaz: I'm not posting while on vacation... just writing the posts at home before going on vacation, and have the posts appear automatically at a certain date and time :)