...Or at least this is what we can infer from Google Trends.

GoogleTrendASPNETMVC.jpg

From this graph we can see that searches started in 4th quarter of 2007 (when ASP.NET MVC was first announced) and spikes always happened at each release of the various preview versions. The final ramp coincides with the announcement of the RC and the wait for the actual RC release. I wonder what is going to happen when the RTW is released.

If you browse to the graph, you'll notice a funny thing: the city that performs most searches is Redmond, where the MS offices are. Either they are constantly looking for new blog posts on the topic or other offices in the company listen to that product and go and look what it is about.

If we compare the volume of searches of ASP.NET MVC with the one of Ruby on Rails, you notice that the interest in RoR is dropping since mid 2007, and now it is half of what it was in 2006. This might either mean two things: the interest in RoR is really dropping after the excitement of the first period, or everybody that was interested already knows everything and rarely look on the web for informations (which also mean that there are little new people embracing it as notoriously RoR documentation is not that good).

GoogleTrendASPNETMVCvsRoR.jpg

In the last month searches for ASP.NET MVC are just half the one for RoR.

GoogleTrendASPNETMVCLastMonth.jpg

Let's wait for "a little before MIX" (as at MIX there are no session planned for ASP.NET MVC, so I doubt the RTW will be released at MIX) to see how these lines move and if the interest for ASP.NET MVC will overtake the one for RoR.

Thanks to Liam McLennan for tweeting the link to the first graph and giving me the inspiration for this.

kick it on DotNetKicks.com

posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 9:34 AM

Left by Liam McLennan at 2/17/2009 12:14 PM

Good to see we are catching rails!

Left by Ryan Lanciaux at 2/17/2009 2:12 PM

Thanks for that information Simone. I would not be surprised if it overtakes RoR in searches before too long -- Do you think it could have something to do with people's experience level with rails. I don't know but maybe the developers who have been using it for awhile are not searching for 'ruby on rails' any more but maybe something more specific? Just a thought. . . Regardless I am really happy that more and more people are using the MVC framework :)

Left by admin at 2/17/2009 2:32 PM

@ryan: yes, people experienced might not use Ruby on Rails are search term. But IMHO this means that little new developers are approaching it.

Left by Ryan Lanciaux at 2/17/2009 2:35 PM

Yes, I agree :) I think it's very good that people unfamiliar with MVC are actively looking to learn more about it.

Left by Justin Etheredge at 2/17/2009 4:32 PM

I asked Rob Conery, and they are definitely going to have multiple ASP.NET MVC sessions at Mix. The current session list for Mix is not completely up to date.

Also, if you really want to see something weird, add django to that google trends search. I never would have suspected that. :-)

Left by Nick at 2/17/2009 7:59 PM

Looks Like Oil, Short It at 20. Stop out if it breaks above Ruby.

Left by Simone at 2/17/2009 10:46 PM

@justin: I think Django is so high because it also refers to a Japanese movie (http://www.movieweb.com/movies/film/FICjYJGEVk1mGE).

Left by Justin Etheredge at 2/17/2009 10:50 PM

@Simone I don't think that is the case... if you look at the trends, you'll see that the countries with the highest number of searches for Django are the Russian Federation, Ukraine, and Czech Republic. Japan isn't even in the top 10. My guess would be that there is just a lot of regional interest in Python in those areas, and therefore Django.

Or maybe there is some Russian dish called Django that everyone wants to learn how to make. :-)

Left by Simone at 2/17/2009 11:15 PM

@justin: I didn't know Python was hot in the East Europe countries. Even more than RoR

Left by Justin Etheredge at 2/17/2009 11:18 PM

I think the PHP based MVC framework that you hear about all of the time is CakePHP. I don't know of any others.

Left by Ryan Lanciaux at 2/18/2009 2:40 PM

I would say Symfony and CodeIgniter are a couple other PHP MVC frameworks that would be an interesting comparison.

Left by ff at 2/22/2009 6:02 PM

try adding GWT to the equation ;)