Last October, at my first MVP Open Days, I won a XBox 360, but I was not able to use it since my only display is an Apple Cinema Display. The problem is that the XBox can send the signal out with HDMI, Composite, Component and VGA: unfortunately the Cinema Display only accepts DVI.

I was busy with other things so I never looked for a way to solve the problem, as I thought that finding a converter would have been easy. And in fact it was: with 20€ I bought a media adapter that finally allowed me to connect the XBox to the Cinema Display.

But it was not the simple: even if the physical connection is possible, the XBox 360 probably sends a signal that is not compatible with what the Cinema Display can accept.

I immediately started to think about buying a display just to play games, and that can work also with the Wii, but after a bit of searching I found out the only monitors that can be used both for the XBox 360 and for the Wii are Televisions. The Wii can only use component or composite, and I didn’t find any LCD display that can use that input: why are they thinking everyone owns a TV? I don’t want to buy a TV (in Italy if you buy a TV you have to pay an annual fee of more than 100€ because you might watch the National channels, even if you don’t watch them).

Can anyone suggest me a way to solve this problem? Does anyone know of a monitor that can handle Composite or Component but that doesn’t have a TV tuner? Or a way to connect the Wii to normal PC monitor?

Thank you.

Technorati Tags: ,,
posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 8:50 AM

Left by Jordan Stewart at 12/29/2008 9:59 AM

Hey Simone,

My flatmate has a Wii and a PS3 and plugs them into his Dell 24" 2407 monitor (which Dell has replaced with the 2408). He just said that to get sound you need to hook up speakers as well since the monitor doesn't have speakers.

Cheers,
Jordan

Left by Simone at 12/29/2008 10:13 AM

Hi Jordan,
thank you for the suggestion...
too bad the Dell 24" 2408 costs 800€ (1150 USD) which is way more than my budget for a monitor for just playing games.
At this point I'm considering buying a projector

Left by Alessandro Scardova at 12/29/2008 10:55 AM

The DVI connector on the Apple Cinema Display should be a DVI-I, then you should be able to connect to the Xbox's VGA output, through a simple DVI/VGA converter.

Left by Justin Etheredge at 12/29/2008 2:30 PM

So they will charge you the fee for a TV, but not for a projector? Don't you just love bureaucracy?

Left by Simone at 12/29/2008 2:37 PM

@justin:
Exactly, because the projector doesn't have a TV tuner inside.
If you own anything that can receive a TV signal you have to pay a fee, which is around 110€ (150 USD) per year. Just because you might watch the National Channels.

Left by Tiernan OToole at 12/29/2008 3:46 PM

Stupid TV Licensing laws! we have the same here in Ireland. its about 170EUR and i dont think there is a way around it. as for the component/compsit connectors for monitors, the smaller Dell 20" monitors (not sure there name but i have 2 here) also have Component or Composit (cant rememer is the single yellow socket is component or composit) connector, and i think the newer ones, which are less then 400EUR, have HDMI connections also...

Left by James Avery at 12/29/2008 4:51 PM

I could be wrong but I believe HDMI is just DVI + Audio, so I think you can buy an adapter for HDMI to DVI that should work.

Left by Simone at 12/29/2008 5:06 PM

@James:
That's what I already did... but seems like the XBox is send a signal that is not supported by the Cinema Display.

Left by Simone at 12/29/2008 7:49 PM

@Alessandro:
I just bought a VGA->DVI Converter, tomorrow I'm buying the XBox VGA cable. Let's see if the problem is the signal or the cable medium :)

Left by Phillip at 12/29/2008 11:34 PM

What? We don't have TV Licensing Fee's here in Australia or New Zealand... You guys are getting a raw deal.

Left by Simone at 12/30/2008 12:51 PM

Just as update: I just bought the VGA->DVI converter, the VGA Cable for the XBox, and female-female VGA adapter to connect the male plug of the XBox adapter to the male plug of the VGA->DVI converter.
Now it's time to test the signal... let's hope for the best.

Left by Simone at 12/30/2008 7:37 PM

Last episode of the saga:
connected the VGA cable to the XBox, connected the VGA to the VGA->DVI adapter, and then to the Cinema Display: no signal is sent to the display.
After a bit of searching I found out that the Cinema Display is a Digital only display, so the cheap VGA->DVI adapter doesn't work. I would need an analog to digital converter: but it costs more than a new monitor. So I think I'll skip and will buy a projector.

Left by Bertrand Le Roy at 12/30/2008 8:28 PM

Just sell the Wii :) You won't use it.

Left by Hector Minaya at 1/4/2009 9:58 PM

Sounds like your MVP Open Day was way better than mine, this year it wasn't even face-to-face, it was done via Live Meeting....

Left by AnimeOnMyMind at 1/25/2009 7:41 PM

You can buy an Elgato EyeTV 250 Tuner and hook up your Xbox 360 through that. It only support 50Hz games tough...

Left by peter at 2/7/2009 5:27 PM

You need a Gefen HD mate Scaler EXT-HDMATE-S. This should do the trick. Games will look awesome with an HDMI to DVI cable, but remember that the Apple 20 inch monitor is not HDCP compliant, so you will still no be able to watch movies, unless you go into the scaler with component cables.

Just tell Gefen via e-mail which Apple Cinema Display you have and they reply which HD mate scaler you need.

Note: unfortunataly HD mate scalers are pricy.

Left by Simone at 2/7/2009 6:21 PM

Well... 349€... half the cost of a good projector, and almost the cost of a LCD TV screen
But thank you for the heads up