lab_oxite_plane

I was on the mountains skiing during this last weekend so I might have missed some big announcement from the .NET blogosphere, but today I found on many “official” IT online magazines (thanks to aspdotnetmvc.com) that the team behind Channel 9 (and 8, 10 and Mix Online) just released on CodePlex the blogging/CMS platform they developed to build Mix Online: Oxite.

Oxite is an open source, standards compliant, and highly extensible content management platform that can run anything from blogs to big web sites. We know this because it runs MIX Online.

It’s developed with ASP.NET MVC and has been designed to provide the core functionalities for every blogging engine and to be a real-world sample written with ASP.NET MVC. At the moment this is not a end-user CMS.

Jeff Sandquist, the lead of the team that works on the abovementioned sites, announced this on his blog yesterday: Supporting Web Standards With Microsoft.

You can read more about this blogging engine foundation at:

As soon as I finish my book later in December, I’ll play around with it.

kick it on DotNetKicks.com

posted on Tuesday, December 9, 2008 10:43 AM

Left by trendbender at 12/9/2008 3:17 PM

looks nice :)

Left by Jake Scott at 12/9/2008 8:57 PM

Yeah I have had a play around with it - it still feels rather beta-rish. The sample site they provide only brushes on what they have lying under the hood. I bet the visitmix admin has some cool features! Still though and excellent resource for those trying to master asp.net mvc. I hope this gets developed further.

Left by Dan Hounshell at 12/10/2008 6:04 AM

he he he. I know, I know - it was way too much info overload for the "news" section of AspDotNetMVC.com. I thought about deleting some of them because they were all basically the same thing, but they were from different sources and apparently this is big news!

Left by Simone at 12/10/2008 9:33 AM

I really don't understand why this is a big news, and why it has been veiculated through the traditional media and not via the usual blogging echo-chamber. I mean, they announce releases of Silverlight and ASP.NET MVC via blogs, why this tiny and early-alpha piece of software has been put on PCWord, ZDNet, and such sites?

Left by Ryan Lanciaux at 12/10/2008 3:36 PM

I kind of wish they didn't make that big of an announcement at this point. It shows a lot of promise but it is definitely in its infancy. They should make the big announcements on ZDNet, etc. once it's ready to be used by general end-users.

Left by Dan Hounshell at 12/10/2008 3:38 PM

Excellent question, Simone! I was wondering the exact same thing. The only reason that I can think of is that 1) the media liked the "open source" release from Microsoft and 2) the first time that someone mentioned it might be able to compete with WordPress, etc. the media jumped all over it.

Or, from a higher level perspective, are we really starting to see a blurring of the lines between bloggers and "traditional" media? You know that we geeks tend to lead trends (at least on the internet). If our tech-related traditional media is starting to mesh more with blogging, perhaps that's a sign that the rest of the world will soon be following suit. I doubt it, but it's an interesting thought.

Left by Simone at 12/10/2008 9:33 PM

It seems like an official PR or similar: all the news report the exact same things
I did read somewhere that this is the answer of MS to WordPress, but it's very far from the truth.
I would have expected ScottH or Phil Haack to announce it as well, or, at least, to write a blog post about it, but still nothing from them.

To me, this Oxide thing is nothing more than a sample app built with ASP.NET MVC, but far from being a competitor for Graffiti, Community Server, Subtext, DasBlog... and even further from Wordpress

Left by Dan Hounshell at 12/10/2008 9:41 PM

I agree. It looks like a good sample app to me and nothing more, yet. It would take quite a bit of work for it to be on par with any of those that you mentioned.

Left by Doug Wilson at 12/10/2008 10:36 PM

I'm not sure its a good sample app. I've been digging through the code a bit over the last couple of days and I'd hate to see any of my team members using it as an example of how they should be coding an MVC app or writing unit tests.

Left by Simone at 12/10/2008 11:48 PM

Is it really that bad? I've not looked at it yet

Left by cowgaR at 12/12/2008 12:22 PM

sorry Simone, but it is a _MVC_ CMS, you probably forgot that...

comparing Webform CMSes Subtext and others (not to mention Subtext architecture isn't brilliant) to MVC architecture OXITE is like comparing ...ah, forget it

it is a great thing, it doesn't need to be perfect, but it pushes MVC forward, great!

and by the way, CMS means CONTENT management system, I don't want it to be an "aplication builder" that many of others are becoming (and plug this and that and shopping cart omg...)

Left by Simone at 12/12/2008 12:33 PM

I'm not comparing the architecture or it's teaching potential, but I'm comparing the overall end-user experience:
no install procedure, no ready-made themes, and so on. It's a library for developers that what to build their own site, not the wordpress-killer or the MS opensource CMS as most of the news sites are depicting it.

Left by cowgaR at 12/12/2008 6:42 PM

Themes?
When I see something like that it is the PRIME reason to ditch CMS!
When I want Themes, I call to the design department or buy some XHTML/CSS templates!
In MVC, these are Themes!

You only want to alter the CONTENT, that is what the CMS should be about.

I understand that USERS (not coders) want to have themes, but that is in the hands of APPLICATIONS, like blog applications. They offer such features and many more. But we should finaly differentiate CMS from applications. And IMO you are more limited in "application CMSes" than you are in a simple platform.

I am still waiting for a real CMS to appear for ASP.NET (with content only focus), for me a combination of Oxite and Umbraco would be great.

Left by Simone at 12/12/2008 8:18 PM

Seems like we are talking about two different things...
The "big news" as the media are sending it is that MS just released the WP-Killer app... and they see it as "blogging/CMS application".

I'm pretty sure Oxite is way better than Subtext, DasBlog when it comes to be a foundation library for your own web site. But is not an end-user application that is going to change the world of blogging as people are depicting it.