Web developers on ASP.NET have (mostly) a client or client-server background.

Web developers on Java have (mostly) a client-server background or a web background.

PHP and Ruby and Pyton (and so on) ones have only web development background or even web design background.

This is just a quick idea that came to my mind this evening while running, and I wanted to share... I think I'll elaborate more on this in a following post.

PS: I know, there are exceptions to these statements (as I am, since I was born as web developer and I develop on ASP.NET), but for the majority of developers this is true.

posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 10:33 PM

# re: Comparing the backgrounds of web developers

Left by Ryan Lanciaux at 6/26/2008 10:42 PM

I have actually wondered/noticed the same thing :) I'll have to check out your next post.

# re: Comparing the backgrounds of web developers

Left by LorenzoC at 6/27/2008 10:39 AM

OT:

Hey Simone, take a look here, there is a pic of yours:

# re: Comparing the backgrounds of web developers

Left by Mason at 6/27/2008 10:24 PM

I don't really get the point of posts like this that try define generalizations of developer traits based on the technology stack.

# re: Comparing the backgrounds of web developers

Left by Simone at 6/29/2008 8:08 PM

I'm not generalizing developer traits, just what it seems to me the most common background is for developers, and it's based on observation:

Windows developer always worked with client applications... MS came to the web world only in 2001 with the release of .NET
PHP/Ruby/Python are only web development platform, so, even if not 100% true, people with background in those app stacks have most likely to have developed only web apps.
Java is a bit of mixed up, but it's used mostly for web and enterprise development.

Hope I cleared myself a bit more.

# Re

Left by Adult Ühler at 6/30/2008 3:57 PM

Some PHP guys also have good experience in client-server.

# re: Comparing the backgrounds of web developers

Left by Simone at 6/30/2008 4:02 PM

I'm pretty sure they didn't build the client side part of the app in PHP :)

# re: Comparing the backgrounds of web developers

Left by Chloe Baby at 6/30/2008 4:33 PM

I'm not sure what all this rant about ruby is. I've tried and found it so overly complex compared to php's loose typing.

# re: Comparing the backgrounds of web developers

Left by Mason at 6/30/2008 7:03 PM

MS came to the web earlier than .net 1.1 with active server pages in the late 90's.

# re: Comparing the backgrounds of web developers

Left by Simone at 6/30/2008 7:09 PM

Came == "started to embrace it"
With ASP it was only a thing to follow a tread :)

# re: Comparing the backgrounds of web developers

Left by Mason at 6/30/2008 7:19 PM

What do you consider embraced? I think asp was plenty embraced, at least in the corporate environment which is .net's primary domain today. Don't take my criticism wrong, I really like your blog.

# re: Comparing the backgrounds of web developers

Left by Simone at 6/30/2008 7:51 PM

I mean, that the majority of developers on MS platform discovered the web with the arrival of .NET.
But that's not the real point of this post :)

# re: Comparing the backgrounds of web developers

Left by vodcoder at 7/3/2008 8:35 AM

Totally agree with you. Maybe the reason why PhP developers have only web background is because PhP is easier to learn than other client-side languages and there are many who don't have a degree in computer science. Anyway, it's good to have a rich knowledge base. A fast way to do that is with video tutorials. I get mine from http://codervods.com