Last year I wrote a post on the steps needed to become a MCPD on the .NET framework version 2.0.
Now that the new .NET 3.5 certification track is available I think I need to update it with the new information.
As with the 2.0 track, the 3.5 has the same 3 certification types:
- MCPD Web Developer
- MCPD Windows Developer
- MCPD Enterprise Application Developer
The difference with the 2.0 track is that, while the first 2 still require 3 exams, the Enterprise Application one now requires 6.
Why 6 instead of 5 as with the 2.0 track? Because to become a MCPD Enterprise Application Developer now you need to get 4 TS certifications instead of 3.
MCPD Enterprise Application Developer
Let’s see in details the exams needed.
First of all you need the 70-536: Microsoft .NET Framework - Application Development Foundation, which covers the generic development, both 2.0 and 3.5 since the CLR is still the same(http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exams/70-536.mspx). Good think I already passed this exam before coming back to Italy last August.
Then you need the 4 specific exams to get the 4 needed TS certifications:
- 70-505: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5, Windows Forms Application Development, which covers winform development, and will get you a MCTS: .NET Framework 3.5, Windows Forms Applications certification as well (http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exams/70-505.mspx).
- 70-562: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5, ASP.NET Application Development, which is about ASP.NET development with ASP.NET Ajax and all the new features of ASP.NET 3.5. This will get you a MCTS: .NET Framework 3.5, ASP.NET Applications certification (http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exams/70-562.mspx).
- 70-503: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5, Windows Communication Foundation Application Development: this is about development with WCF. This will get you a MCTS: .NET Framework 3.5, Windows Communication Foundation Applications certification (http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exams/70-503.mspx).
- 70-561: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5, ADO.NET Application Development: this is one of the new TS certification (MCTS: .NET Framework 3.5, ADO.NET Applications) and was previously included into the Windows-based client development exam (http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exams/70-561.mspx).
And at the end, once passed all the 4 TS exams and obtained the 4 TS certification you have to pass the final exam for the MCPD Enterprise Application Developer: 70-565: Designing and Developing Enterprise Applications using Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 which has yet to be released. It should test the knowledge of logical design, physical design, using interface, testing, deployment of both web based and client based applications.
So, now, let’s spend some time getting ready for the exams.
Technorati Tags: MCPD