Since I installed Win2008 on my Mac I never really used it: turning on my company's laptop was less painful than the usability problems that both VMware and Parallels have.

VMware was not working very well with more than one display: if you open an application in Unity mode it will be stuck in the display the main Fusion application is running, and in fullscreen mode it is not possible to have more then one display.

Parallels works fine with multiple displays, but I don't like the way the mouse pointer is handled in Coherence mode: there are 2 pointers, with the one inside the Windows application that mimics the movements of the mac one.

But finally VMware Fusion 2.0 has been announced: with support for multiple displays, DirectX 9 3D support and more.

Watch the movie, with an astonishing 8 displays being supported!!

Technorati Tag: ,,
posted on Tuesday, May 6, 2008 12:19 PM

# re: VMware Fusion 2.0: now with multiple displays

Left by GetYoID at 5/6/2008 4:08 PM

"Now I think I can really start thinking of using my mac for everything, including developing on Visual Studio."

But why would you. Geez.

# re: VMware Fusion 2.0: now with multiple displays

Left by Simone at 5/6/2008 4:11 PM

Becuse I develop .NET applications also for "fun" and bored of turning on my other laptop.

# re: VMware Fusion 2.0: now with multiple displays

Left by Emad at 5/7/2008 4:42 AM

how is the performance though? i have tried this a few months ago and it was too slow... will it handle vista good?

if all i want is visual studio live writer, i think sticking with xp might be better from a performance point of view. right?

# re: VMware Fusion 2.0: now with multiple displays

Left by Simone at 5/7/2008 9:58 AM

Do you mean running XP booting natively from BootCamp? Well... obviously running from inside a VM it will be slower... but speed is not everything. Now I got used to all the cool things of Mac OSX and it will be a pity to turn it on and off only to develop some opensource project. It will be even more "painful" than using 2 laptops

# re: VMware Fusion 2.0: now with multiple displays

Left by Emad at 5/7/2008 3:57 PM

No I mean running inside a virtual machine. Booting from bootcamp works great but like you said, it's almost the same as having 2 laptops. I want to stay within the mac os and play around with open source, ruby and so on, but also code in visual studio and blog in live writer...

VS is a hog and when I ran it in VM it was painfully slow... but that was about a year ago... is it better now? can you work on it daily?

what are your specs? running vista or xp?

# re: VMware Fusion 2.0: now with multiple displays

Left by Simone at 5/7/2008 4:19 PM

Well... not as fast as running natively on HW, but works quite well...
I'm running on Win2008