Last week Craig Shoemaker published the 50th show of this great Polymorphic Podcast: ASP.NET MVC Resources.

Around 4:15 he says hello to me and thanks me for pointing him to some resources, and doing so he is the first English speaking person I know that pronounced my name and also also my surname right.

I lived in a English speaking country for 8 months and it was frustrating to never hear my name pronounced correctly even after I put an audio file pronouncing it the Italian way (JB almost got it during my video interview), so it's great to hear someone who never met me to do it right.

So, if you are wondering how Simone Chiaretta is pronounced, just listen to the podcast, or to the MP3 file I put on my blog last year.

And again, thank you Craig for mentioning me in the podcast and including my two articles among the 47 resources.

posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 12:59 PM

# re: Finally someone pronounced my name correctly

Left by Craig Shoemaker at 4/29/2008 2:20 PM

I am just glad I pulled it off!

Even with the MP3 example I wasn't sure if pronounced your name right.

Makes me feel good to be able to do you name justice :)

# re: Finally someone pronounced my name correctly

Left by Raffaeu at 4/29/2008 2:41 PM

Ok Simon your name is very easy for us (Italian). But try to immagine how BM (English) people are able to pronounce my name (Raffaele Garofalo). The last one saw Raffaiello ...
;-)

# re: Finally someone pronounced my name correctly

Left by Simone at 4/29/2008 2:50 PM

The most common error is pronouncing the final "e" as if it was a "i" as in "Italy" (fettuccine, fettuccini and salame as salami, Simone as Simoni)

# re: Finally someone pronounced my name correctly

Left by LorenzoC at 4/30/2008 9:10 AM

The problem is the spelling. In english you never know how a letter sounds in a word.
Like "E"lisabeth versus "E"nglish, same letter, same position, different sound.

I think the final "e" in Simone is not a big deal. Much worse the "r" and "z" in Lorenzo, that don't depend on the spelling, the italian sound of both doesn't exist in english.

# re: Finally someone pronounced my name correctly

Left by Brian at 5/2/2008 10:12 PM

Heya Simone,

Same here, but mine is the last name "Di Croce". I've heard so many different ways of it being pronounced. It actually means "The Cross" in Italian, and it's pronounced "Dee Krochay"...I guess ;)