I'm thinking about redesigning my blog and just for curiosity today I tried BrowserShots. It allows you to test any website on 60 different combination of browsers and platforms (35 on Linux, 20 on Windows, 5 on Mac). And as result it takes a screenshot of how the website is rendered.

I tried it with 40 default combinations and in 1 hour (the time after which shots in queue expire) it took 34 different shots, from the latest Safari 3.1, IE8 and FF3 to the older IE4.

My blog looks as I expected it to be on 30 out 33 browsers: the 3 failing are... IE 6, IE 5.5, IE 4.

I had no visitors with IE 5.5 or IE 4 in the last few months, but 15% of the overall visitors came with IE6, and sometimes they don't see the site I designed it. I'll see if I can find a VM with IE6 to try and debug the problem.

In all the others it looks good, including IE8 and the various flavors of Opera.

Here is how it looks on IE8. Pretty much the same as in IE7 and FF2 and all the other browsers.

ie8_shot.png

posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 8:02 PM

# re: Testing websites on different browsers/platforms

Left by LorenzoC at 3/20/2008 9:48 AM

Before anything else, try changing the doctype to a "strict" one and validate. Most problems with IE come from the non W3C compliant box model.

# re: Testing websites on different browsers/platforms

Left by LorenzoC at 3/20/2008 9:50 AM

See here:

# re: Testing websites on different browsers/platforms

Left by Kamran Shahid at 3/20/2008 12:16 PM

For testing with IE6 u can use
Multiple IE utility from

# re: Testing websites on different browsers/platforms

Left by Si Philp at 3/21/2008 10:28 AM

Hey Simone, wrote an article a while back about websites being printer friendly. I have printed (to pdf) a couple of your posts to read and out of the 8 pages only 2 contain content :S Would be nice if you could add it to your list. Feel free to steel my sheet, should work on your site with a couple of tweeks :)

# re: Testing websites on different browsers/platforms

Left by Simone at 3/21/2008 7:47 PM

it's in the list of tweaks :)

# re: Testing websites on different browsers/platforms

Left by Ted Jardine at 3/24/2008 6:18 PM

Without a doubt, the best tool for testing cross browser functionality is www.browsercam.com. It's extremely pricey for corps, but if you go to fundable.com, there's a deal whereby 20-30 individuals contribute to a plan for $25/year (a deal in place for several years now from browser cam). Beyond being worth every penny, as not only can you configure screenshots (full screen - including page downs), you also have a complete arsenal of virtual machines you can log into to actually remote in and test various OS and browser combinations.

In the past I've just set my reader to an XML feed of searches containing "browsercam" and latched on to the first one available. Usually one comes up every month or two. Right now there's one with a couple spots still available: