As I said last week, Daniela and I were developing a small application to take part in the Italian and INETA EU Silverlight competition.

This morning I tried to upload the ugly proof of concept we came out with, but it was not possible to upload projects any more (probably I misunderstood and the final date was Jan 28th in the morning, and not at midnight). Too bad since I checked yesterday and there was no other application submitted to the contest (actually one, but without the application).

But, this post is not about me not being able to take part into the competition - which is not a big issue since the application is still ugly at the moment and not competitive - : the real problem is that NO application were submitted to the Italian Competition (and looking at the sites of other countries I counted at most 10 applications submitted in the whole European competition). What does this mean?

I don't think it means there is lack of interest in the technology itself, probably just the wrong time for this kind of competition:

• it's still in alpha CTP version, and in a bit more than one month there will be a new beta version that will have a lot a changes and will include a lot of enhancements: probably lot of people thought it was a useless loss of time trying to fight with all the problems of a CTP when in 2 months they will be able to do the same things (like using a real textbox) without tons of work-arounds.
  • the competition has been announced at the end of November and the final submission date was the end of January: less than 2 months, during an usually hectic period of the year (with the Christmas in the middle). Probably not many people had time to experiment with it and come out with a decent application in that little time. (To prove this point, the Spanish competition, that started in August, is the one with the highest number of submissions)
  • a Silverlight application must be well crafted but also must look good: not many developers are good at drawing nice UIs, and the designer world is not interested in this new UI technology yet. Was there any point in submitting the best application with the best algorithm ever but that looked as ugly as death?

I hope there will be another competition once the Silverlight 2.0 will be released after the MIX.

Anyway, regardless of any competition, we will release the Silverlight control we are developing as soon as it's ready for public usage.

kick it on DotNetKicks.com

posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 10:18 AM

# re: Italian Silverlight Competition: no go

Left by foobar at 1/28/2008 5:21 PM

Silverlight is a still-born child. It will never take off. It will never be big.

# re: Italian Silverlight Competition: no go

Left by Pawel at 1/28/2008 11:05 PM

I don't know which sites you checked, but you should definitely go to Polish and Russian sites. They have 7 and 6 projects respectively, and because in those countries the competition is still open I assume there will be more.

# re: Italian Silverlight Competition: no go

Left by Simone at 1/28/2008 11:38 PM

Pawel, I didn't check that part of Europe, but UK, IE, PT, FR, DE, CH, DK, NL, GR all summed up are around 10-11 project combined.

# re: Italian Silverlight Competition: no go

Left by Andrea Boschinthat at 1/29/2008 12:43 AM

Hi Simone,

I organized the contest for Italy in last months and have at least a point to clarify:

when you say "it's still in CTP version" you are wrong. Silverlight is now in RTW version. I remember you that the challenge is targeted to Silverlight 1.0 developers.

I think you are right in many ways, but I think the main problem for the challenge is the lower popularity that the 1.0 release has in Italy (and probably in europe too...). Influent people have degraded Silverlight 1.0 assuming it is only a beautiful media player and saying they are waiting for the "silverlight-to-come" referring to the 1.1/2.0 release. I developed with Silverlight 1.0 and I think it is a big mistake waiting for the 2.0, but probably I'm the only one thinking this way.

This problem and the problem of the timing of challenge, I agree with you, is the cause of this failure.

I hope the next time will be better...

# re: Italian Silverlight Competition: no go

Left by Simone at 1/29/2008 12:55 AM

Actually they said:

"[Silverlight is] currently similar to a declarative and programmable platform to build ... smarter animated GIFs."

Anyway, I thought it was mainly targeted to 1.1 apps... (and that was what I'm developing)

# re: Italian Silverlight Competition: no go

Left by Simone at 1/29/2008 8:56 AM

Just checked the rules of the competition.
They say: "Monday 31th of January 2008".
Since Monday was 28th, too bad Italy was the only one to close the competition on Monday, while all the other countries will probably close on 31st.

# re: Italian Silverlight Competition: no go

Left by Marcin Celej at 1/29/2008 9:08 PM

Hi,

I organize Polish edition of the contest and it is still open. You can submit your project on our site at http://poland.silverlightchallenge.eu/Participar.aspx.
The only problem you may have is the Polish version of the site :-). If you need any help contact me and I will help you submit the project.
I encourage you to do so. The Polish edition is extended till February 8th and we already have 7 projects.

Best Regards,
Marcin Celej

# re: Italian Silverlight Competition: no go

Left by Simone at 1/29/2008 10:23 PM

Hi Marcin,
that is very kind from you.
I'll hope I'll be able to make it a bit more interesting than the proof of concept it is now.