In the last 2 months Scott Hanselman and Jeff Atwood built the "ultimate developer rig". Probably you all are also readers of Scott's and Jeff's blog so I'm not going to repeat all the specs (here is the last Scott's post with a recap of all the steps of the decision and building process).

Basically the CodingHorror-Hanselman PC is a Intel QuadCore 2.4Ghz (overclocked to 3Ghz), 4GB of RAM, GeForce 8800 with 768MB of RAM.

And the cost for such a PC, monitors (3 of them), keyboard and mouse excluded, is US$ 1903. I don't know how much the same parts will be in NZ or in Italy, probably a bit less since the prices for Intel parts dropped a bit since they bought them. Adding 2 monitors will add other US$ 5-600, and with mouse and keyboard the total price can be US$ 2600.

I always wanted to buy a MacBook, but now this "ultimate rig" adds a new option: shall I buy a MacBook with a Cinema Display or shall I build this "ultimate PC"?

It's difficult to compare the setups since they are very different:

• one is a laptop, the other one is desktop
  • one can run Mac, the other only Windows
  • one costs US$ 2600, the other almost one grand more (3600)
  • with one you can show off around town, with the other you can't
  • one is lot more powerful then the other

That's a very tough decision. Go for portability and the cool factor, or go for a lot of horse power (and keep my old but revived laptop to go around)?

Or I might buy the MacBook myself and ask for the desktop to the company I'll be going to work for when I finally decided what to do with my life: "Ai posteri l'ardua sentenza" (cit.).

posted on Sunday, August 5, 2007 2:27 AM

# re: MacBook Pro vs CodingHorror-Hanselman rig

Left by Jonas at 8/5/2007 3:58 AM

I had the same problem. The last 2 years I developed using the mac. But for my new job I had to switch to the .NET platform and I started using windows again. Vista is a huge improvement vs XP (for me) and in the long run, both the mac and vista can do all the stuff I want it to do. I only mis expose a bit. But in return I have this pc with every feature I want and at high speeds. I dont use ilife. The next thing i will buy is a windows pocket pc... that will sync nice with my outlook-exchange setup (I switched away from gmail) ... yeah I'm strange ;)

# re: MacBook Pro vs CodingHorror-Hanselman rig

Left by Scott Hanselman at 8/5/2007 9:45 AM

Ya, I think I still want a MacBook Pro 17"...maybe Microsoft will give me one...

# re: MacBook Pro vs CodingHorror-Hanselman rig

Left by Simone at 8/5/2007 9:48 AM

For me the choice is more on the hardware and "coolness" side.
OS-X is better then Vista since it allows me to run Mac and Vista, while with Vista you cannot run OS-X.
I only develop web applications, so I'd have no problem running VS inside Parallels, but the quad core and the 3 monitor setup is appealing ;-)

# re: MacBook Pro vs CodingHorror-Hanselman rig

Left by lucab at 8/5/2007 10:56 AM

you wrote:
"S-X is better then Vista since it allows me to run Mac and Vista, while with Vista you cannot run OS-X."
I don't think so, indeed if you buy just OS-X you can't install it on a PC if it is not an Apple PC (it doesn't allow you). Maybe did you intend to say that _MacBook_ allows you to have both OSs?
P.S. [OT]: I'm looking at Live Comment Preview for the first time, very nice!

# re: MacBook Pro vs CodingHorror-Hanselman rig

Left by Simone at 8/5/2007 11:04 AM

Yes, is not the OS-X that allows your to run Vista. But I mean... you understood what I said :)

# Exploiting Multi-Core Processors