I just bought a new mouse: the Microsoft Wireless Notebook Presenter Mouse 8000.

And I'm really impressed by its precision, and the smoothness of the movements. Maybe a bit too small for everyday use, but is a good solution as portable mouse, since it comes also with a carrying case.

But it is not only a Bluetooth optical mouse, is also a laser pointer, and a remote control that works both in "media mode" and in "presenter mode".

In media mode you can play, pause, skip, control the volume of movies and songs, and in the presenter mode you can navigate through the slides.

And with 10 meters of Bluetooth range, it can really be a basic media center remote or a good companion for presentations.

bag mouse

If you want to see my new mouse in action, come to my presentation about Vista Sidebar Gadget development in September.

Technorati tags:
posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 9:08 PM

# Re: Microsoft Presenter Mouse 8000

Left by Igor Damiani at 7/17/2007 9:47 PM

a bluetooth mouse? :-/
what about the duration of the batteries?

# re: Microsoft Presenter Mouse 8000

Left by simone at 7/17/2007 10:42 PM

I use one at work, and the batteries last 1 month. But this is not an optical mouse with the red light on the bottom, but hi-def, with a small "cam" in it to track the movement, and also, you can turn it off when you don't use it.

# Re: Microsoft Presenter Mouse 8000

Left by Igor Damiani at 7/18/2007 12:37 AM

uuhhh, very nice!

# re: Microsoft Presenter Mouse 8000

Left by Lorenzo Barbieri at 7/18/2007 1:18 AM

I've it and it always runs out of battery power when I really need it.
I've always with me the extra batteries ;-)

# re: Microsoft Presenter Mouse 8000

Left by LorenzoC at 7/18/2007 1:41 AM

I feel bad now since I am still using a PS2 mouse with the little ball... :(

# re: Microsoft Presenter Mouse 8000

Left by Nic Wise at 7/18/2007 1:49 AM

I have got one of these too - very nice mouse, and the basic functions work with my macbook, so no more dongles etc.

Battery life on the MS BT mice is usually very good - 3+ months on 2 AA's - and this is smaller, no light, and has 2x AAA's

:) So when you getting the MacBook? :)

# re: Microsoft Presenter Mouse 8000

Left by Simone at 7/18/2007 9:41 AM

I'll wait till October when it will ship with Leopard, but I've a presentation on Vista Gadget in September... probably I'll use my wife's MacBook to deliver it :)
Does the Presenter Mouse works also with the MacBook? I mean also the extended buttons and presenter mode?
My wife has the MacBook and she uses Apple Mighty Mouse, seems a nice mouse: no buttons, just touch-sensible areas.

# re: Microsoft Presenter Mouse 8000

Left by Chris at 8/11/2007 6:04 AM

The Presenter Mouse does indeed work with the MacBook, though you'll have to jump through a few simple hoops to get the thing to connect (Google for "microsoft presenter mouse macbook" and you'll find help among the first few results). After that, the device will be in your favorites and pairing is as easy as turning the mouse on, then turning Bluetooth off and then on again.

Without installing Microsoft's drivers, the left and right mouse buttons will control Keynote presentations, so the basic functionality (mouse w/scroll, laser pointer, presenter controls) won't even require Intellimouse software. However, if you want to map the other buttons to OSX functions, you'll have to install Intellimouse (I believe the latest version is around 5.2).

Excellent product, and a great solution for presenters with MacBooks.

# re: Microsoft Presenter Mouse 8000

Left by David at 8/24/2007 1:03 PM

Would love to see what you see however the Intellipoint 6.1 CD supplied does not seem to contain a driver that XP2 recognises for teh bluetooth USB transceiver. Microsoft USB hub reports 'no driver found for your hardware'. Microsoft site has the install exe but no drivers. Any ideas?