UPDATE: The latest version of CC.NET Monitor for Vista Sidebar is v0.9.5: read more about it on the CC.NET Monitor for Vista Sidebar v0.9.5 release notes.

I'm using CruiseControl.NET both at work and for Subtext, and since I'm using Vista I wanted to look at my servers states inside the Vista Sidebar.

Last October Ruslan Trifonov built a Vista Sidebar Gadget for Cruise Control.NET, but I didn't like it mainly because it connects to a custom web service he built on purpose, instead of using the REST-like API provided inside CC.NET.

So I decided to give the Vista Sidebar Gadget development a try, and I built a Vista Sidebar Gadget to monitor a CruiseControl.NET server, but connecting to the XmlStatusReport that comes with CC.NET.

In this release (version number 0.5) I mainly focused on implementing the main features, and on giving the glassy look of all Vista Gadgets.

Gadget Features

It's quite easy to configure: just add the url of your ccnet dashboard and the refresh rate in second.

The gadgets list all the projects running on the specified server and in the docked view it shows different icons based on the status of the project:

• when the project has been successfully built
  • when the build is broken
  • when the status is unknown (the first you build a project)
  • if something strange happened to the project (usually some error in the CC.NET server or with the source control provider)
  • the server is checking the source repository for modifications
  • the server is building the project

In the undocked view it also shows the last built label and the time of the last built.

Screenshots

What's next

I'll try to find the commands to trigger a build using the XmlStatusReport and add the buttons to force the build in the undocked view.

Download CC.NET Monitor for Vista Sidebar version 0.5.1

Acknowledgements

I want to thank Scott Dorman for the nice looking icons he put in our SubtText dashboard

UPDATE: I updated the version from 0.5 to 0.5.1 because I forgot a debugging variable in the 0.5 release. So if you downloaded the 0.5, you have to download the gadget again. And make sure the new version is 0.5.1

kick it on DotNetKicks.com
posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 3:51 PM

# re: Vista Gadget for CruiseControl.NET - CC.NET Monitor for Vista Sidebar 0.5

Left by Scott at 4/17/2007 4:42 PM

Excellent gadget! Makes me wish I had Vista on my home development machine. It looks like soon you will be able to replace cctray with it.

# re: Vista Gadget for CruiseControl.NET - CC.NET Monitor for Vista Sidebar 0.5

Left by Thomas Freudenberg at 4/17/2007 8:59 PM

Great work. However, I suggest to remove the hard-coded url in gadget.js, line 42 ;-)

# re: Vista Gadget for CruiseControl.NET - CC.NET Monitor for Vista Sidebar 0.5

Left by Simone Chiaretta at 4/17/2007 9:13 PM

Doh.. you are right
I forgot a testing url in the code

# Vista Gadget To Monitor Your Build

Left by Pingback/TrackBack at 4/17/2007 9:28 PM

Simone Chiaretta, a member of the Subtext team (not to mention many other projects), just released a Vista Gadget which allows you to monitor a CruiseControl.NET build within your sidebar.

# re: Vista Gadget for CruiseControl.NET - CC.NET Monitor for Vista Sidebar 0.5

Left by Steve Harman at 4/18/2007 12:29 AM

Great work Simo! I actually started building a CC.NET Sidebar gadget about a month ago, but got busy with work, Subtext, etc... and had to put it on the back burner. Looks like I can scrap it now!

# re: Vista Gadget for CruiseControl.NET - CC.NET Monitor for Vista Sidebar 0.5

Left by Roger Jakobsson at 4/18/2007 12:42 AM

This looks very promising!
But could you please make it adjust its height depending on how many projects you have? The scroll-buttons aren't that good. Thanks!

# re: Vista Gadget for CruiseControl.NET - CC.NET Monitor for Vista Sidebar 0.5

Left by Michael. at 4/18/2007 12:49 AM

Better yet, could you add the ability to select which projects to display? we use one build server for all our projects and any given developer may not need to know about all of them...

# re: Vista Gadget for CruiseControl.NET - CC.NET Monitor for Vista Sidebar 0.5

Left by Simone Chiaretta at 4/18/2007 1:08 AM

Vista gadgets rely on transparent png to have the cool glassy background and extending the height based on the number of project is not possible with an image with a gradient.
Probably there are 3 solutions:
- display in the docked view only projects that are failing
- as Michael suggests, let the developer choose the projects to display
- make the scroll buttons better :)

# CC.NET Vista Sidebar Gadget

Left by Pingback/TrackBack at 4/18/2007 1:10 AM

Simone Chiaretta has just released a beta version of his new Vista Sidebar Gadget for monitoring Cruise Control.NET ...

# re: Vista Gadget for CruiseControl.NET - CC.NET Monitor for Vista Sidebar 0.5

Left by Steve Harman at 4/18/2007 1:22 AM

Simo, I like the second option (allowing the use to select which projects to display).

Also, when I point the gadget toward the Subtext build server it's showing each project twice. Bug, feature?

# re: Vista Gadget for CruiseControl.NET - CC.NET Monitor for Vista Sidebar 0.5

Left by Simone at 4/18/2007 9:06 AM

I'm going to add the second feature...
and the project displayed twice... still another debugging variable...
must make another small release :)

# Behind the scene of CC.NET Monitor for Vista Sidebar

Left by CodeClimber at 4/19/2007 8:34 PM

Behind the scene of CC.NET Monitor for Vista Sidebar

# CC.NET Monitor for Vista vNext

Left by CodeClimber at 5/2/2007 9:44 PM

CC.NET Monitor for Vista vNext

# re: Vista Gadget for CruiseControl.NET - CC.NET Monitor for Vista Sidebar 0.5

Left by AgileJoe at 5/3/2007 6:51 PM

Will I be able to play and audio file with the notifications?

# re: Vista Gadget for CruiseControl.NET - CC.NET Monitor for Vista Sidebar 0.5

Left by Simone Chiaretta at 5/3/2007 7:58 PM

Play audio?: will add the request to my internal feature request database :)