As part of my new job as Chief Software Architect here in Calcium, one of my task is setting up a "state of the art" build/testing environment so that the various developers working on the project know if they broke something with their latest commit, or the exotic Java-.NET integration stopped working.
In the CC.NET version 0.6 there were 2 sets of audio files, but they have been removed in following version.
The first set is featuring a space age metallic female voice that says:
- Successful build: "Confirmed"
- Fixed build (that means transition from broken to successful build): "Program loaded and ready"
- Broken build: "Warning, the system has become unstable"
- Still failing (means the last commit didn't fix the build): "Negative"
The second set is from Homer Simpson:
- "DOH!!" whenever a build is broken
- "WOOHOO!!" whenever a build is successful
and it doesn't care about transition from broken to successful build.
In our office we adopted a mixed solution: we are using the 2 Simpson's audio files for everything but the transition from broken to successful, where we use the "Program loaded and ready" audio file.
Anyway I think a better solution to CI notification is to have visual reminder of the status of the builds, something like the server screensaver.